Sunday 13 June 2010

Whats not to like.....?











At about the age of six or seven, I remember playing my mums old 45's on her Dansette.....Elvis, The Beatles and The Kinks to name a few. To be honest though, I was perhaps more interested in "the mechanics" of putting the records on the turntable, 6 at a time and letting it run through its cycle. Although I could make myself look very cool by stating that, even as a small child, I knew the importance of those artists....I can't say for sure at that age, that the actual content on the vinyl made any difference at all to the overall experience.
However, by about 1973 I definitely started to form my own opinions about the different bands I was seeing and hearing.
Here are 4 clips from  around '73-'74 that kinda summarise my early interest in music. I wasn't aware of any classifications for bands...Glam, Soul, Heavy etc.....I just liked these bands.

MUD
Great clip of Mud doing DYNAMITE in 1973. This was written by ChinniChap for THE SWEET but they rejected it! I love the Biker-Sweaty dance moves. Mud used a bunch of their roadies doing this dance in the Top of the Pops appearance for TIGER FEET the following year.

SLADE
A really great clip of the band actually playing live. Almost all performances are them 'lip-synching' along to a track. This footage shows what an awesome live band they could be. This track is from the 2nd album PLAY IT LOUD and is actually from 1970 during their "Skinhead" phase, however I reckon this clip is a couple of years after that.

THE ARROWS
TOUCH TOO MUCH from 1974...The Arrows had their own weekly TV show on childrens ITV!
They also wrote the original I LOVE ROCK 'N' ROLL made popular by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

SHOWADDYWADDY
Earliest known footage in existance from 1974. The band was formed in 1973 by the amalgamation of two groups, CHOISE and THE GOLDEN HAMMERS. This led to an eight member band, with the unusual feature of having two vocalists, a couple of drummers and two bassists! This was the first single, "Hey Rock and Roll" One of the only songs written by the band, it was released in April 1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment