Friday 5 February 2010

The punkest band ever?

This is THE HERETICS in 1979, possibly the punkest looking band, ever?
This picture is from anarcho-punk fanzine TOXIC GRAFFITY.
They were a squat band from Kilburn, North London.
Unfortunately, they never actually recorded any vinyl, although, with the wonder of the internet, there is a practice tape floating around. Songs on the cassette are Stepping Stone, Nazi born and bred, Mania, Napalm Babies and Death or glory.
I got this fanzine when I was 15 and their appearance really knocked me out.....I couldn't believe how scuzzy they were. No other bands in 1979, that I can think of , looked as dirty as this.
The fanzine has an interview with the band that is unintentionally funny, it reads like a 'Not the Nine 'o' Clock News' sketch.....heres some quotes....

Sgt. H: “I wanna cut me ‘head off”…                                                                                                          

Sam Aggression: “I don’t believe in anything unless I’m speeding, then I just believe in enjoying myself”…

 Sgt.H: “By being myself, I’m anti-everything.......                                    

Sgt.H: “They should wander about, see what’s going on, then go back to their poxy offices and work it out for about 10,000 years and by then they’ll all be dead, and that’ll be good”…

Jake Obvious: “I’m a personal anarchist. I couldn’t give a shit about the world. The world could blow up as far as I’m concerned: I don’t give a fuck”…

Jake Obvious: “The Heretics are a bunch of…I don’t know, I’m fuckin’ knackered”…

 listen to the fucked cassette practice tape and read the xeroxed interview

No comments:

Post a Comment